Tip for comparing product warranties
Moisture intrusion can be a costly problem to solve. Destructive sampling is generally the only way to get to the root of the problem. Your first line of defense against claims is to use products with a proven track record of performance. Your second line of defense is to make sure the company you choose stands behind their products with a solid warranty.
Here are a few questions to help compare product warranties:
- Are you required to show the original proof of purchase or receipt? Some manufacturers require this to honor a warranty claim.
- Is it valid only for the original owner of the building? Some warranties are only valid for the original owner and become void if the building is sold. You will face a claim alone if the new owner experiences a problem.
- Is the value pro-rated based on the time it has been installed? Some manufacturers discount their warranty coverage based on the length of time the product has been installed. Their argument is that the owner has received some useful years of service from the product, so why pay full value. Too bad, since you still have to replace the product and hire labor to install it.
- Does the product have to be registered at the time of installation to be covered by the warranty? As if contractors don’t have enough paperwork already, some manufacturers require builders to register a product installation before it is covered by the warranty. And if it’s not registered at the time of installation, it can’t be covered retroactively.
- Does it cover only materials? It’s great to have the cost of materials covered, but what about installation labor? It doesn’t seem right that the contractor has to shoulder the cost of the labor to replace that material, even though the product defect was the manufacturer’s fault in the first place.
- What is the coverage period? Generally, a longer term will provide better protection.
The Henry® 1-2-3 Moisture Control System™ Warranty
When you use the Henry 1-2-3 Moisture Control System by Henry you get products proven to be among the best on the market. And with this system, you get the added protection of the Henry 1-2-3 Moisture Control System Warranty, offering 15 years of coverage backed by a company that’s been in business for over 80 years.
In the unlikely event of a leak caused by product failure, warranted repairs are covered for both materials AND labor with a single point of contact. No complicated claim process. No digging through files to find your original purchase receipt. No reduction in reimbursement value based on how long the product has been installed. The protection provided by this warranty is unsurpassed on the market.
Contact a Henry weatherization expert for advice and support on your next job.